Hi Folks:

I was wondering how many towns that approve their budget by Australian ballot have broken that budget into categories and voted on each category separately.

For example, in Castleton the 2004 budget was broken in to multiple categories (e.g., elections, auditing, tax collection, planning and zoning, police, etc.)  Each category was warned as a separate article and voted on separately.

If your town has done this, I would really appreciate your thoughts on the merits of this "decomposed" budget approval process.

Thanks.

Jim Barlow
Staff Attorney
Vermont League of Cities and Towns