From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Kathy DeWolfe
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: Petitions for Town Officers

Good morning Lisa,

Question:  The school board can’t have a 1, 2, & year, Do you mean 1 or 2 years remaining of a 3 year term—when two additional school board members are added to form a 5 member board, the 2 must each be for the same length term either 1 or 2 years.

So one of the two terms should be a “remaining of a X year term.”

Meanwhile, any voter can circulate as many petitions for as many different offices as he or she wants to circulate and to file.  We had one fellow submit petitions for every town office in one town one year.

Generally however, you are correct to assume that the person wants to wait until the last minute to decide which seat to file for—and this is permissible.  If a person submits for both positions, he can be on the ballot for both but could only accept one even if elected to both so that would create a vacancy that the board would then fill unless voters petitioned for a special election.

If you or your voters are really unhappy with the process, you could discuss a change with your legislators.  However, the requirement for signatures is so low—30 or 1% of checklist—that I don’t think there is any danger of running out of voters to sign.

Best, Kathy

Kathleen  S. DeWolfe

Director of Elections & Campaign Finance

Office of the Secretary of State

26 Terrace St.

Montpelier, VT 05609-1101

(802) 828-2304