> From: [log in to unmask]
>
> Amazing. By that I mean the fact that Mansfield and Stark supposedly and amazingly recieved no
> crust effect from Monday's icestorm, yet Bolton had the worst kind of crust.

Wow, thanks for that beta Roger.  When we left Bolton on Monday at around 4:00 P.M., there was none of that stuff yet.  I headed off the trails a bit that afternoon and found pretty much that same thick stuff that Dan and Scott described in their reports/pictures from Stowe.  We were getting a little glazing on our goggles at the end of the day, but it didn't seem all that significant at the time.  Obviously something happened to set up such a crust though.  I had debated heading up to Bolton (maybe Timberline) for some turns on Tuesday morning, but didn't because there wasn't much upslope (I guess the couple of inches you found on top of the crust) on the back end of that event.  I think I made the right choice because it sounds like I would have encountered that stuff you just described.  At least the Bolton B/C might be fun on Sunday if the Friday/Saturday snow develops.  Based on your report, I don't think I'll want to go near it without a good 6-12 new inches.  But then again, it could be a good excuse to pull out the snowshoes and snowboard.

Did this same sort of thing happen to Stowe's off-piste snow?  I wonder if Jay Peak might be the place for B/C skiing until the next snowfall.  I have to think the snow there would still be in pretty good shape with their short duration of mixed precipitation, but I haven't seen any reports to confirm that.

Thanks again for the heads up on the snow.

J.Spin

Get free, personalized online radio with MSN Radio powered by Pandora. Try it! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.