So NOW the NWS decides to put out a winter storm warning ;)

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

1046 PM EST FRI JAN 19 2007

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH SATURDAY WILL BE 4 TO 10 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. THE HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED IN COMMUNITIES NEAR THE SPINE OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS.

I guess here in Waterbury we qualify as one of those communities near the spine of the Green Mountains because we are getting hammered.

I first started getting suspicious when E called me from Morrisville and questioned whether she should come into Burlington this evening.  She said it was dumping in Morrisville, they already had 3 inches of new snow there, and the driving looked bad.  I assured her that while wed had a few squalls in Burlington, the roads were just wet and the driving was fine.    The next call I got from E said that she was unable to get up our driveway because Waterbury had even more snow; she estimated 4 to 5 new inches.  I assured her again that the driving in Burlington was still fine.  Of course just after that, the snow started to accumulate on the roads in Burlington as heavy snowfall moved in.

Despite the heavy snow, Burlington only picked up an inch or two of new accumulation by evening, and by the time we headed back to Waterbury, the roads in the Burlington area were in fine shape.  The snow had basically shut off and it looked like the weather had settled down.  Then we approached Waterbury.  The closer we got to our house, the worse the roads got, and the more intense the snowfall became.  Route 2 east of Jonesville/Bolton was tough driving, and several inches of snow had accumulated since the last plow had come through.  Our road had seen no attention, but the cars made it through without much problem.  Then, at the driveway, the Mazda was stymied by the significant accumulation of snow, despite being front wheel drive and having snow tires.  However, the Suby (with only all-season tires) blasted right up like the snow wasnt even there.  We had a good time shoveling out the driveway in the dumping snow, and then got the Mazda into the garage.

So, I measured 0.5 inches of accumulation when I cleared the snowboard this morning at around 8:30 A.M., then another 6.5 inches when we got back here around 9:00 P.M.  That 7.0-inch accumulation alone makes this the biggest snow event of the season (beating out the two 6.9-inch events from the New Years and MLK weekends).  There are already another few inches on the snowboard, but I wont do another reading until tomorrow morning.  Its still dumping inch-an-hour snow outside and the Burlington composite radar looks really good, so I dont think were going to have any problem passing the 10 inches mentioned by the NWS.  Whether we head up to the slopes tomorrow or stay down in the valley due to high winds, the snow is going to be a lot of fun.  Even the snowpack in our yard is well over a foot now.  I think the NWS was a little late in picking up this snowfall and posting the Winter Storm Warning, but at least its out now.

The full Winter Storm Warning is pasted below.

J.Spin

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

1046 PM EST FRI JAN 19 2007

...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL PLAY HAVOC OVERNIGHT AND SATURDAY...

.A POWERFUL STORM SYSTEM ACROSS NOVA SCOTIA AND NEW BRUNSWICK TONIGHT WILL CONTINUE TO STRENGTHEN AS IT MOVES INTO EASTERN QUEBEC ON SATURDAY. INCREASINGLY COLD AND UNSTABLE AIR WILL MOVE INTO THE NORTH COUNTRY WITH NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS...ESPECIALLY ALONG AND IMMEDIATELY DOWNWIND OF NORTHWEST FACING MOUNTAINS. ALSO...BRISK NORTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP AND INCREASE TO 15 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH CREATING BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THE SNOW AS WELL.

VTZ003-006-008-201200-

/O.UPG.KBTV.WW.Y.0004.000000T0000Z-070121T0000Z/

/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.W.0002.070120T0346Z-070121T0000Z/

ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...MONTPELIER

1046 PM EST FRI JAN 19 2007

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST SATURDAY FOR ORLEANS...LAMOILLE AND WASHINGTON COUNTIES.

SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH SATURDAY WILL BE 4 TO 10 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. THE HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED IN COMMUNITIES NEAR THE SPINE OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS.

SNOW AND HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS HAVE BEEN PERSISTENT SINCE THIS

EVENING AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY. THE MOST PERSISTENT AND HEAVIEST SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY WILL BE IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN... ESPECIALLY NEAR THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. IN ADDITION TO THE SNOWFALL... NORTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH WIND GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH BY SATURDAY FOR CONSIDERABLE BLOWING OF THE SNOW.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SNOW IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS WEATHER SITUATION.

$$

Get into the holiday spirit, chat with Santa on Messenger. Ho-Ho-Ho! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.