Hello, Everyone,

I would like to respond to Josh's questions and comments.

At last week's meeting (which I thought everyone understood to be last
Wednesday evening) four people attended: myself, Jacob Beauregard (CSSA
Webmaster), Evan Flynn (CSSA Vice President), and our faculty advisor,
Bob Erickson.

A few things have been decided. Firstly, last semester I asked if there
was any interest in running a mentoring program for younger CS students.
Only one other person expressed any interest, so it did not go forward.
This semester, we are going to do a movie-night-like event directed at
first-year CS students in which we can have older students talk about
their experiences in the department beyond the CS21/26 level. I will
coordinate and run this meeting. It will probably take place in the
second half of the semester, but perhaps sooner. I will see what Bob
thinks and talk to the CS21 and 26 professors to get an idea what would
be best for the students.

We will have to have another CSSA officers' meeting due to the lack of
attendance at the last one. I'm not blaming anyone for not showing up;
I'm sure there was a reason for the poor attendance.

I do not know why the website hasn't been updated yet, but our Webmaster
(Jacob Beauregard) has assured me that he is going to update it soon.

Movie nights last semester were abundantly successful. They were
centered less around the films being shown and more upon the student
speakers. A lot of students got a lot out of last semester's movie night
program. They received respectable attendance and were inexpensive to
run. Consequently, the movie night program will remain in place for this
semester. I will pick at set of dates to run about the same number of
movie nights this semester as last and send that out soon. There is a
movie night at 8:00 tonight.

We have been asked if we are going to run career day again this year. I
am interested to hear how everyone feels about that. If I get any
significant interest at all, I will be happy to tell Xindong that career
day is on and we will set a date and find speakers. If I get no
response, we will not have career day this year.

I am aware that "the powers that be" are unhappy, but I am only aware
because I have heard it through th grapevine. My suspicion is that the
primary reason that people are unimpressed withe the '06-'07 CSSA is
that they do not fully understand what it is we have been doing. In
fact, no faculty member (with the exception of our advisor) has asked me
anything about the CSSA. That being said, I do not care who is unhappy
with the club or what their reasons are for being unhappy. If there is a
problem and someone with authority would like to address it, they should
get in touch with me and I would be happy to talk with them. If no one
asks, I will assume that there is no problem, and club operations will
continue as planned. I would like to emphasize that this club is not
about pleasing members of the faculty, it is about providing the
greatest benefit to the students of the CS department. We have made
great progress, and will continue to provide more to the CS student body
throughout this semester.

When are all the officers available for another officers' meeting? As
our budget is tight and it is early in the semester, I will not be
ordering any pizza for this meeting. If there is money left over at the
end of the semester after all the events for our members are paid for, I
will order pizza for an officers' meeting at that time.

Thank you,
Eric Silverberg
President, CSSA