Whether it's computers, cars, or toaster ovens, "maintenance plans" are
not set up to lose the manufacturer money.  On the average, end-users
lose money, but it's a crap shoot.  While I never buy the extended
warranties on personal electronic devices (or cars, for that matter),
I'm more risk-averse when it comes to school situations. I would rather
take the chance of losing a little money on a support contract that I
don't use than suffer a catastrophe such as Steve mentions.  Even if I
wanted to do it, I wouldn't have the funds to replace a cartful of
laptops in the middle of the school year.

That said, I would be interested in seeing a study on cost-benefit in
this area.  The key, though, may be the "self-insuring."  The way our
budget gets trimmed every year, I don't think we could get away with
budgeting a significant amount of money to hold in reserve waiting for
the above-mentioned catastrophe.

BTW, another issue to consider in the laptop vs. desktop decision is
the extra amount of time it takes to support laptops.  Our experience is
that they require at least half-again the attention of desktops.   Even
if you've got a support contract, when something goes awry, you need to
do some troubleshooting and then get on the phone with the
manufacturer's support people to confirm it's their problem (and we all
have war stories about that process).   You may not want that to be the
deciding issue in which way to go, but if you are converting from
desktops to laptops, you'd better factor in some added support time.

-Vince