Just a quick Barre answer.  I did an analysis for the Barre Town school
board last year, and found that laptops are 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive
than desktops over their lifetimes.  The cost/benefit ratio is still
hard to figure, however, since I do not know how to factor in mobility
and whether that feature offsets the higher costs.

We buy extended warranties ONLY for laptops.  Our history is that they
are damaged or faulty more often than desktops.

--Tommy Walz

Tommy J. Walz
Technology Coordinator
Barre Supervisory Union