Contrary to Ray's experience we are finding that the portable labs are now
used MORE than many of our desktops. Clearly the lifespan of a notebook is
lower for a variety of reasons, but we have not found that they require any
more support time. We are on year 4 with a dozen Compaq Evo notebooks -
first year without warranties. Both Compaq and HP "business class" machines
come with 3-year warranty, and we chipped in a little bit for accidental
damage. Body count on 14 machines for the duration of the warranty period
was 1 motherboard, 1 trackpad and 2 HD, which were replaced/repaired
immediately. No accidents (knock knock). In my mind a low-cost warranty
spread over a 3-year payment is worthwhile if only to get prompt service and
repair parts. For us it would be hard to pay for unexpected expensive
repairs (motherboard, LCD, etc.) and I don't want machines out of
circulation waiting for parts or $$ to buy them.

As for batteries, we are just now starting to replace them after 3 years -
they get replaced when they can no longer last for two class periods (90
min). Many still have 75% of original battery life (which was about 4
hours), but some of those were sitting on desks constantly plugged in for
the first couple of years and it took a year or more before the cart really
got heavily used. I have purchased Total Micro batteries through CDWG, and
they are OEM (HP branded) at a good price. So far so good, and also great
service direct from the manufacturer (we had one DOA).

One thing we have done is to make sure that batteries are properly
"conditioned" when we get them and occasionally during the year. Anybody
want to take a shot at whether or not this really makes a difference?

Eric Hall
Technology Coordinator
Waterbury/Duxbury Schools
Washington West Supervisory Union