Re: Mitchel's Marxism & the Environment talk now on-line
Michael and like thinkers,

I absolutely agree with you.  These guys are the anti-science left.  In a little flourish, they are a twisted amalgam of self-righteousness, ignorance and contradiction wrapped in a ragged cloak stained of delusion.

I think that its an unfortunate element of the left that we must waste such valuable time and energy sweeping up the, at most, well meaning dust they constitute because we leave the window of the lefts house open.  Perhaps its the price we pay for being ardently anti-establishment --distrustful of so many things that the form of opposition is more important than the substance.

Its in a way understandable, in that the world is very complicated and many people prefer simplicity.  With this simplicity, they can skim the surface of any subject just enough to justify their convenient and self enforcing categories to the ignorant bystander and blow empty rhetoric to someone more knowledgeable so that they maintain their sorry sense of doing the right thing.

I'm not sure if anything can be said to pierce such adamantine walls of self-righteousness, but I guess this list serve is the crucible where such chemistries of the "reality-based community" can be tried out.  Lets hope we can be a little successful.

This post from Jonathan Campbell is an example, to me anyway, of the absolute contempt that some so-called leftists have not just for science--which could, just perhaps, be justified by the abuses of science--but for any standards of evidence whatsoever when it comes to argumentation and debate. In other words, first comes the politics, and then the "facts" to back them up. Is this any different from the way the Bush administration justified the war in Iraq? Not in my view.

Let's just take one of Jonathan's statements:

"Why is it that there is no interest in ADULT stem cells, which really can be
obtained easily (from the patient's intestines) and used easily and
relatively cheaply to re-grow organs?"

Every single clause in this sentence is factually incorrect. If it is so easy to grow organs from adult stem cells, perhaps Jonathan would like to tell us where this is actually being done.

As for the pharmaceutical industry, it has a lot to answer for. But do we base our policies on taking the exact opposite position from everything it does? How about the attempts to find an AIDS vaccine. Obviously pernicious, and must mean that a pure leftist should be for continuing the epidemic, right?

In sum, this is the kind of infantile, ignorant, knee-jerk, no-nothing leftism that has landed the American left in the toilet for the past 30 years where it will stay until those who want to impress us with how hard they work and how tirelessly they engage in the struggle actually get their brains in gear and start acting and thinking in the real world.

Sorry for the rant, but we had a dream once and too many leftists have turned it into a fantasy with this kind of crap.

Michael

www.michaelbalter.com