The article in the Harvard Crimson is interesting on several counts.

First, it is true that they quote the lead researcher who feels that
Dr. Rath is misusing the results of the study. Rath has come to a
different policy-related conclusion, he is not challenging the study
itself. If one wants to argue that those who perform a study should
then be seen as experts as to the political/policy implications of
that study, this could get very interesting as Nobel prizewinner Kary
Mullis has some very pointed comments about the way his own research
has been misused by the pharmaceutical industry. I usually do not
agree with what Mullis says about what he calls the faulty scientific
use of PCR, on the grounds that just because he invented a major
tool, that does not make him expert in the many ways it might be
utilized; but I would extend that same argument to the researchers on
the Tanzania study we're talking about.

Secondly, Don Karn, the CEO of Dr. Rath Education Services USA, said
that "while the Rath Foundation's approach focuses on vitamins, it
encourages HIV patients on ARV to work with their doctors to include
a multivitamin regimen.

"He also said that the line in the advertisement that said the
six-year study showed vitamins slowed the onset of AIDS by 50% "was a
direct quote from the study itself as it was published in the New
England Journal of Medicine."  This does not sound reckless, to me,
but will help save many lives.

and, Third, the Crimson writes that the New York Times "apologized
for the inaccurate statement that should not have been printed in Dr.
Rath's advertisement."  WOW. So now, is it acceptable by Science for
the People that the bourgeois press censors alternative health
proposals, even when those ads are paid for?

Quite the stranglehold on information, eh?

Mitchel Cohen