George of Oaxaca wrote:

>   Here's the essence of it for understanding U.S. policy,
>
>"We have about 60 per cent of the world's wealth but only 6.3 per
>cent of its population. In this situation we cannot fail to be the
>object of envy and resentment.  Our real task in the coming period
>is to devise a pattern of relationships which will permit us to
>maintain this position of disparity.  We need not deceive ourselves
>that we can afford today the luxury of altruism and world
>benefaction.  We should cease to talk about such vague and unreal
>objectives as human rights, the raising of living standards and
>democratisation.  The day is not far off when we are going to have
>to deal in straight power concepts.  The less we are then hampered
>by idealistic slogans, the better."
>
>George Kennan, ex-US State Department Policy Planning
>
>Staff Chief, Document PPS23, 24 February 1948

	A detailed analysis of this "quote", starting with a
correction  -  Kennan wrote 50%, not 60% - , is available at
http://www.swans.com/library/art11/ga192.html

	To me as an antinuclear activist, Kennan had been most
visible (later, after he'd been the USA ambassador to Moscow) as an
opponent of the H-bomb.  I regard him as a refined USA establishment
member, as contrasted to the crude sort such as Dubya.