Chandler Davis quoth:
>  some scientists are fundamentalist
>Christians (or other) and say that the Genesis account of the origin of
>life is perfectly true but only metaphorically.

	This seems confused.  The fundamentalists say Genesis 1 - 3
is literally true  -  they deny that it should be interpreted
metaphorically.  This fundamentalism arose only a century ago.  It is
anything but traditional Christianity.
	The mainstream Christian position has always been that this
is among the most figurative parts of the Bible.  I go further and
deny that it can be understood literally by an honest, informed
person today -  so the notion that it should be does not arise.  I
then argue that the fundies' insistence on affirmation of the
nonsense slogan 'the first 3 chapters of the Bible, plus you get your
Noah story, must be understood literally' is totalitarian in much the
same sense as 'the Slavs are subhuman' or the most notorious 'the
Jews have been causing nearly all our troubles in Germany lately':
these are slogans that cannot be honestly believed, so to affirm them
amounts to a declaration that you are blindly obedient to the bosses
of the sect that propounds them.
	When virulently anti-religion campaigners like Dawkins use
"creationism" as a straw man to knock down, as if they were refuting
Christianity, they are being at best extremely lazy (in failing to
ascertain the traditional Christian doctrine on evolution).  At
worst, they are aware that "creationism"