Since I am a fairly recently joined member of this list, encouraged to do so
by its moderator because I was  a member of Science for the People in the
1970s and understood this was a continuation of that organization, I am
wondering whether a debate over whether HIV causes AIDS is an appropriate
topic for this list. I would hope not, and I responded to Cohen and Campbell
because I was frankly stunned that a group started by real working
scientists like Lewontin, Beckwith, and Gould would entertain such nonsense.
But finding that regular posters to this list such as Cohen and Campbell
entertained such views, I felt compelled to respond to them for concern that
they might be leading members and lurkers astray. So seriously, to Martha or
anyone else on this list, I ask you to explain what topics are appropriate
and which are not. And if there are no such rules, but Martha is simply
expressing her personal opinion about the discussion, then I would like to
know that too. I would then know that those who don't like the discussions
that take place here have the choice to leave the list.

Michael

--
www.michaelbalter.com

Michael Balter