Thanks for this, Cliff. However, though I normally have considerable
respect for Daniel Goleman, this piece seems facile. He does not
mention the long tradition of letter writing, and of writing and
publishing in general,  in which many of the same conditions
pertained. Everyone knew there were certain things easier to say in a
letter than in person; sometimes newspapers and handbills as well as
books could be highly insulting, scatological, etc. The issue is
largly one of developing and learning  appropriate social conventions
with each new medium, suitable for the general social and cultural
climate, which these media also affect.  I don't see that explaining
the brain parts involved helps  very much.

Best,
Michael