I agree that so-called "social neuroscience" doesn't help understand this
phenomenon. On the other hand, it can't be fully explained by comparing it
to other, older, relatively anonymous forms of communication, either. It
takes considerable time to write and mail a letter, receive a reply and then
respond to that. With email, as everyone on this list knows, you can fire
off half-a-dozen sharp retorts before your first cup of coffee in the
morning. This is one of those cases where quantity really does turn into
quality (or, rather, lack of it). I also note that email flame wars seem to
be a predominantly male activity, further evidence that members of my gender
are, on average, less highly evolved. --PG