I agree that so-called "social neuroscience" doesn't help understand this phenomenon. On the other hand, it can't be fully explained by comparing it to other, older, relatively anonymous forms of communication, either. It takes considerable time to write and mail a letter, receive a reply and then respond to that. With email, as everyone on this list knows, you can fire off half-a-dozen sharp retorts before your first cup of coffee in the morning. This is one of those cases where quantity really does turn into quality (or, rather, lack of it). I also note that email flame wars seem to be a predominantly male activity, further evidence that members of my gender are, on average, less highly evolved. --PG