These last posts from George and Jonathan, filled with self-righteousness
and amazingly distorted characterizations of my positions, say it all about
the closeted sectarian left. This whole discussion started when Mitchel
Cohen said that all discussions of race and intelligence were fascist
propaganda. I asked people to read my Bruce Lahn profile in Science from
last December--still only two people have asked for the pdfs, so most of the
posters here don't have any idea what I am talking about--because I saw it
as a case where science had won the day. It sometimes happens. When Lahn
published his original Science papers in 2005, they were trumpeted by every
right ring and racist blog from John Derbyshire at NRO to Steve Sailor at
vdare as evidence that Blacks were inferior in intelligence, and if you
Google Lahn you will find tons of this stuff. I broke the story in Science
that the followup studies by Lahn and Rushton had failed to show this
connection. My story has received a lot of attention and has had the effect
of stopping all this in its tracks. In doing so, not by pursuing an agenda
but simply doing my job as a reporter and reporting the facts (although it
was my idea to do this particular article), I did more to counter the
race-intelligence connection than all of the people who have attacked me
here put together and multiplied by 10. Why? Because too many leftists are
still talking to themselves, and think it is beneath their ideological
purity to actually engage with racist ideas in the real world, where
political correctness and self-righteousness don't get you anywhere. Science
operates in a social and political context, sure, and I have acknowledged
that all along the way in this discussion. But if you believe that
progressive ideas are right and true, then science also has the power to
help bring that truth to light. That is what S.J. Gould realized when he
wrote The Mismeasure of Man, a book that is still assigned in university
courses today and which has had a huge influence--and all because Gould knew
that he had to confront scientific racism rather than ignore it, and on a
scientific as well as a political basis. Some people here would rather stew
in their juices than follow Gould's example.

Stew away, some of us are trying to work in the real world.

Michael

--
www.michaelbalter.com

Michael Balter