Michael:

Thanks for this post and your article.   I do not teach classes in biology.
But your approach seems reasonable; and it does seem to be supported by the
one study you cited.   I occasionally broach the subject of evolution in my
environmental health science classes, as when I discuss the body's intricate
defenses against airborne particles, which presumably evolved (although some
might say were "created").   The evolution perspective is interesting
because some aspects of the physiological defense systems, which probably
evolved to deal with infectious agents, may now be counterproductive when
dealing with the nonviable particulates found in air pollution in our
technological society.  Although I refer to the debate about evolution in
passing, I do not belabor it, because I consider the subject peripheral to
the course focus.

My overall experience in teaching is that almost anything I can do to get
students "involved" in a subject is beneficial, particularly if they are
encouraged to come up with logical arguments to justify their position.
And encouraging a debate about evolution seems like it could definitely be
productive.  I think one just has to be careful to: 1) continue to uphold
the value of scientific thinking and investigation (I think it's fine for
the instructor to "weigh in" on this value) and 2) make sure that the single
topic does not "overshadow" (e.g. in time and effort) one's overall
educational objectives.

All that being said, I think the conflict between evolution and belief in a
supreme being is sometimes artificial.  Why can't evolution be part of God's
plan?  The problem is that most "creationists" don't just want people to
believe in God; they want people to believe in their God and their
particular religious doctrine.

In terms of the difference between high school and college students,
obviously there can be great differences in "readiness to learn" even
between students in the same class.  So I am not sure a big distinction
between the two groups is warranted.  My guess is that both educational
levels will benefit from this type of discussion.  However, probably a lot
will depend on the teacher and how it is handled.

Frank

Frank S. Rosenthal, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Purdue University School of Health Sciences

550 Stadium Mall Dr.

West Lafayette, IN 47907 USA

tel: 765-494-0812, fax: 765-496-1377,

e-mail: [log in to unmask]