 *J. Clin. Invest.* *116*:1167-1173 (2006). doi:10.1172/JCI28607.
Copyright (c)2006 by the American Society for Clinical Investigation
------------------------------
Review Series Prophylactic human papillomavirus vaccines  Douglas R.
Lowyand John
T. Schiller

 Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, Center for Cancer Research, National
Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.

*Address correspondence to:* Douglas R. Lowy, Laboratory of Cellular
Oncology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National
Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA. Phone: (301) 496-9513;
Fax: (301) 480-5322; E-mail: [log in to unmask]
 Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection causes virtually all cases of cervical
cancer, the second most common cause of death from cancer among women
worldwide. This Review examines prophylactic HPV subunit vaccines based on
the ability of the viral L1 capsid protein to form virus-like particles
(VLPs) that induce high levels of neutralizing antibodies. Following
preclinical research by laboratories in the nonprofit sector, Merck and
GlaxoSmithKline are developing commercial versions of the vaccine. Both
vaccines target HPV16 and HPV18, which account for approximately 70% of
cervical cancer. The Merck vaccine also targets HPV6 and HPV11, which
account for approximately 90% of external genital warts. The vaccines have
an excellent safety profile, are highly immunogenic, and have conferred
complete type-specific protection against persistent infection and
associated lesions in fully vaccinated women. Unresolved issues include the
most critical groups to vaccinate and when the vaccine's cost may be low
enough for widespread implementation in the developing world, where 80% of
cervical cancer occurs.

Full text: http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/abstract/116/5/1167