Kitcher's book is titled Abusing Science--it's good for the most part
(although the chapter on science and religion is weak, and Kitcher himself
has subsequently conceded that his "plea for peaceful coexistence [between
science and religion] ... was too facile"), but it was written in 1982 and
is out of date (the young earth creationism that is his main target is only
one among many creationist views now being advocated). I've suggested to him
that he should reissue it with his 2002 essay on ID theory ("Born Again
Creationism", reprinted in In Mendel's Mirror) as a postcript. However, the
best (meaning philosophically most sophisticated) monograph on these issues
is still Robert Pennock's Tower of Babel (MIT, 1999), although I have
several specific disagreements with it. The best collection is
Pennock's Intelligent
Design Creationism and Its Critics (MIT, 2001). --PG

On the issue of creationism., ID and evolution, I strongly recommend the