Nothing is ever as simple as it fears appears.
For instance, here's a letter I just received:

"Here are a couple of things that Merck told me:
girls under 18 were only tracked for 18 months,
so no they don't know the long term effects or
the long term efficacy by my way of thinking.
9,700 women had cervical cancer last year, 3,700
died. Of those diagnosed, about 30% of them
[1,100] had no known origin (cause) of the
cervical cancer. That means they have no idea why
these women got it and HPV was not present. Of
the rest [2,600] some did indeed have an HPV
causal relationship (no numbers for how many) but
many had a causal relationship with other
viruses. So in terms of numbers, HPV is a pretty weak case."

Now, I wouldn't go so far as the writer above who
says that HPV is a pretty weak case. There
clearly is SOME sort of correlation. But, and this has not yet been discussed,

1) how many people get genital warts (HPV) each
year, and how many of those people get cervical cancer? and,

2) how many cases of cervical cancer are there
each year among people who do not have genital warts?

Mitchel Cohen