http://www.neworleansvfp.org/node/4370

An Urgent Call for Help from New Orleans Public
Housing Residents Solar Panels and Electrical
Expertise Desperately Needed!

When Katrina provided New Orleans an excuse to
evacuate the city, the Housing Authority of New
Orleans (HANO) took advantage of the opportunity to
close down all the housing developments. It scattered
the residents across the country and barricaded their
homes. In the case of the C.J. Pete development, which
did not even get flooded, they kicked in the doors,
threw refrigerators down the stairs, and left the
whole development open for looting. They allowed
horrific damage to be done ≠ electrical wiring and
fixtures pulled out, copper plumbing pipes stolen,
residentsí belongings rifled and stolen. To add insult
to injury, they dumped the belongings of many
residents out into the street, including treasured
items like baby photos, diplomas and letters. These
are units which did NOT suffer storm or flood damage,
and for which the residents hold valid leases. Last
Saturday, February 12, the residents of C.J. Pete
housing development took the profound step of
reoccupying their units. They made the decision to
help themselves after HANO and the government refused
to even allow them to enter their apartments.  They
are taking back their homes and are determined to take
back their lives. A crucial factor that enabled them
to take this historic step has been the support of
volunteers and friends. Donations of generators, food,
water and labor have given the residents hope and
courage. But now that they are in their homes, much
more help and support is needed. Generators are only a
temporary fix. They are dangerous and unreliable, as
well as expensive to operate. Donated water and
porta-potties only go so far. The people of C.J. Pete
need proper electricity and plumbing. And even more
important, they need to know that people across the
country are following their struggle and supporting
them. An S.O.S. for Solar Panels and Electricians We
hope you can help! The residents are issuing an urgent
call for support. They are in dire need of energy
resources. We are issuing an S.O.S. call to anyone
with experience and expertise in alternate energy
services.  We need solar panels, windmills, and any
other available resources and expertise. The eyes of
the world are on New Orleans, and we CANNOT fail.  We
must make every possible effort to ensure the success
of this action, and we need your help.  Contact us
IMEDIATELY with any knowledge or resources you have at
your disposal. Thank you in advance,

The Residents of Public Housing, New Orleans Survivor
Council Call us at 504-872-9591 E-mail