Michael,

Thanks, for this. I agree pretty much completely. Science for the People was originally called Scientists for Social and Political Action. We were a group of physicists aghast at the ways our science was tied into war-making. We questioned the idea  that "research means progress, and progress is good," and this must still be questioned. (By the way, for a thoughtful, partial anti-reductionism, see Michael Pollan's recent NY  Times piece on the difference between food and nutrients.)

For me, the questioning helped lead me out of physics altogether. One way I tended was towards the ideas of Marx. But he has now been dead for almost 125 years, and he wasn't always right even in his lifetime. One thing that disturbed me about much Marxism (and still does)  was the way in which it became like a religion, complete with sacred texts —open to varying interpretations, certainly — but not to be considered as only a step on the way to better and more currently relevant understanding.

That viewpoint has much to do with what I view as scientism, namely using isolated tidbits of evidence, some indeed laboratory-based, as if they prove some opinion that goes far beyond what they can possibly even indicate. Thus, abortion opponents like to use photomicrographs of embryos to "prove" that they are human beings. Bush and company used photos of strange trucks to "prove" that Saddam was engaged in biological warfare. Jonathan uses highly questionable research from  out-of-the-way "peer-reviewed" journals to 'prove" whatever he likes.  (One thing I learned as a young physicist was there is always some peer-reviewed journal somewhere that will publish anything that remotely resembles a scientific result.)

There are many serious issues about the contemporary role of science and the direction of society. It would be nice to have a forum in which they could be seriously discussed, if enough people care.

Best,

Michael