Many thanks to Mitchel and Jonathan for producing parodies of what a discussion by progressives of the cervical cancer controversy might look like. I look forward to hearing from others on this list whose views might be somewhat less predictable.

MB

On 2/17/07, Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Michael Balter wrote:
>I would be interested in hearing list members'
>views on the cervical cancer vaccine
>controversy. Is this a pharmaceutical industry
>plot to make piles of profits, a vital
>protection for young women, or both? How do
>progressive science-oriented folks deal with controversies like this?
>
>Just asking.

The NY Daily News (Friday, Feb. 9, 2007) printed
an article stating that NY State legislator Amy
Paulin (D-Scarsdale) is introducing legislation
"mandating girls be inoculated with the
three-shot series agains human papilloma virus, a
sexually transmitted disease that causes 70 percent of cervical cancers.

"Children whose parents have religious objections
to the vaccine, called Gardasil, would be exempt."

Paulin goes on to say that her daughter has
already taken the first of the three shots, and
Merck (the vaccine's manufacturer) has inundated
TV with exciting commercials for the vaccine
designed to appeal to teenage girls and young
women, to be part of the "one less" MOVEMENT (that it has invented).

In addition, "Gov. Spitzer has allotted $5
million in his budget to buy the $360 series for
low-income women and those without insurance. ...
Texas Gov. Rick Perry issued an executive order
last Friday that girls there get the shots, and
at least 17 other states are debating similar
requirements. ... " [This was just reversed, due
to outrage by the populace in Texas.]

According to the article, "some 10,000 women are
diagnosed with cervical cancer each year [in the
US] and 4,000 die of it." (written by Jordan Lite, jlite(at)nydailynews.com)

No mention anywhere of the relationship between
cervical cancer and environmental toxins and pesticides.

So I'm posting, below, the articles from Kelly
Hoffman's interesting
website.  www.naturalhealthgirl.com  that she
referenced in a letter to the SprayNo listserve.
These are very informative, although there are
some claims made there that I have problems with
(such as calling the 20,541 girls and women in
the study a "very small sample", for instance --
it's not a small sample at all.)

I am also concerned that the main article on the
subject is unsigned. It is taken from
www.awakentothetruth.com where it is also
unsigned. This site seems to have some links to
Alex Jones' Prison Planet. I recognize why in
this day and age people are unwilling to expose
themselves to retributions from the
pharmaceutical industry just for telling the
truth and so do not sign their articles. Still,
this is a problem as to the expertise of the
writers of the critique of the study.

That said, one startling claim in the articles
Kelly Hoffman has posted to her site is that the
study itself is tainted because 90 percent of the
10,000 people in the control group were not given
true placebos, but actually "given injections
containing an aluminum salt adjuvant (vaccine
enhancer) that is also a component of GARDASIL.
... Alum adjuvants are suspected to be
responsible for Gulf War disease and other
possible vaccination-related complications."

So basically the claim here is that the number of
women in the control group developing genital
warts was INCREASED BY THE SO-CALLED PLACEBO.
This is a very serious claim -- if this turns out
to be true, it is astounding, as is the assertion
that NONE (ZERO) of the women in the control
group actually developed cervical cancer. In that
case, the comparison is totally flawed and there
would zeno basis for this vaccine whatsoever! The
author writes that "this vaccine's supposed
efficacy is based on the fact that the vaccinated
group ended up with far fewer cases (5 vs. about
200) of genital warts and "precancerous lesions"
(dysplasias) than the alum injected "control" subjects."

Shocking indeed, if true. As this is a breaking
and fast-stampeded story, we need to gather all information .....

< http://kellyhoffman.blogspot.com/2007/02/gardasil-vaccine-cure-or-threatening.html>Gardasil
Vaccine...
Cure or Threatening Hoax?

1) GARDASIL is a vaccine for 4 strains of the
human papillomavirus (HPV), two strains that are
strongly associated (and probably cause) genital
warts and two strains that are typically
associated (and may cause) cervical cancer. About
90% of people with genital warts show exposure to
one of the two HPV strains strongly suspected to
cause genital warts. About 70% of women with
cervical cancer show exposure to one of the other
two HPV strains that the vaccine is designed to confer resistance to.

2) HPV is a sexually communicable (not an
infectious) virus. When you consider all strains
of HPV, over 70% of sexually active males and
females have been exposed. A condom helps a lot
(70% less likely to get it), but has not been
shown to stop transmission in all cases (only one
study of 82 college girls who self-reported about
condom use has been done). For the vast majority
of women, exposure to HPV strains (even the four
"bad ones" protected for in GARDASIL) results in
no known health complications of any kind.

3) Cervical cancer is not a deadly nor prevalent
cancer in the US or any other first world nation.
Cervical cancer rates have declined sharply over
the last 30 years and are still declining.
Cervical cancer accounts for less than 1% of of
all female cancer cases and deaths in the US.
Cervical cancer is typically very treatable and
the prognosis for a healthy outcome is good. The
typical exceptions to this case are old women,
women who are already unhealthy and women who
don't get pap smears until after the cancer has existed for many years.

4) Merck's clinical studies for GARDASIL were
problematic in several ways. Only 20,541 women
were used (half got the "placebo") and their
health was followed up for only four years at
maximum and typically 1-3 years only. More
critically, only 1,121 of these subjects were
less than 16. The younger subjects were only
followed up for a maximum of 18 months.
Furthermore, less than 10% of these subjects
received true placebo injections. The others were
given injections containing an aluminum salt
adjuvant (vaccine enhancer) that is also a
component of GARDASIL. This is scientifically
preposterous, especially when you consider that
similar alum adjuvants are suspected to be
responsible for Gulf War disease and other
possible vaccination related complications.

5) Both the "placebo" groups and the vaccination
groups reported a myriad of short term and medium
term health problems over the course of their
evaluations. The majority of both groups reported
minor health complications near the injection
site or near the time of the injection. Among the
vaccination group, reports of such complications
were slightly higher. The small sample that was
given a real placebo reported far fewer
complications as in less than half.
Furthermore, most if not all longer term
complications were written off as not being
potentially vaccine caused for all subjects.

6) Because the pool of subjects were so small and
the rates of cervical cancer are so low, NOT A
SINGLE CONTROL SUBJECT ACTUALLY CONTRACTED
CERVICAL CANCER IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM MUCH
LESS DIED OF IT. Instead, this vaccine's supposed
efficacy is based on the fact that the vaccinated
group ended up with far fewer cases (5 vs. about
200) of genital warts and "precancerous lesions"
(dysplasias) than the alum injected "control" subjects.

7) Because the tests included just four years of
follow up at most, the long term effects and
efficacy of this vaccine are completely unknown
for anyone. All but the shortest term effects are
completely unknown for little girls. Considering
the tiny size of youngster study, the data about
the shortest terms side effects for girls are also dubious.

8) GARDASIL is the most expensive vaccine ever
marketed. It requires three vaccinations at $120
a pop for a total price tag of $360. It is
expected to be Merck's biggest cash cow of this and the next decade.

These are simply the facts of the situation as
presented by Merck and the FDA. This vaccine was
just approved in June, 2006. It was never tested
on pre-teens except in a tiny trial run with at
most 18 months of follow up. Even if we subscribe
to the theory that HPV causes cervical cancer,
there is ZERO hard data showing that this vaccine
reduces cervical cancer rates or cervical cancer
mortality rates, which are both already very low
in the US and getting lower every year. Now Texas
has already made this vaccine mandatory for
middle school with all sorts of useful idiots and
Big Pharma operatives clamoring for more states
to make this vaccine COMPULSORY immediately.

(This information was sourced from
http://www.awakentothetruth.com/vaccinations.htm)

<http://kellyhoffman.blogspot.com/2007/02/homepathic-remedies-for-hpv-and-other.html >Homepathic
Remedies for HPV
and Other Warts

The following was taken from ABC Homeopathy

Homoeopathy has potential to stimulate body's
natural healing capacity and to restore the disturbed immune system.

There are around 3000 homoeopathy medicines
derived from various natural resources and
effective against plethora of diseases. Among all
Thuja is very frequently used homoeopathy
medicines for HPV or Warts of any kind.

Principal sycotic remedies in Homoeopathy are:

THUJA OCC.
KALI ARSEN.
NITRICUM ACIDUM
CAUSTICUM
NATRUM SULPH.
STAPHYSAGRIA
DULCAMARA
AURUM MUR
ANTIMONIUM CRUD.
SABINA

Please do not use all remedies, just select one
according to your symptoms and nature.

The Following are the BIOTHERAPIC NOSODES;

MEDORRHINUM
GONOTOXINUM

< http://kellyhoffman.blogspot.com/2007/02/reported-adverse-events-from-gardasil.html>Reported
Adverse Events from the Gardasil Vaccine

Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine Safety

Analysis of Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System Reports:
Adverse Reactions, Concerns and Implications

(Report from National Vaccine Information Center)

On June 8th 2006, the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) announced the approval of
GARDASIL, and on June 29th the Advisory Committee
on Immunizations Practices (ACIP) voted to
recommend adding GARDASIL human papilloma virus
vaccine to the Centers for Disease Control's
national childhood recommended immunization
schedule. On July 14th the first report of a
serious reaction to the vaccine was filed with
the federal Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS).

A 16-year-old Illinois girl was vaccinated July
7th and 13 days later developed symptoms
eventually diagnosed as Guillian-Barre Syndrome.
A 14-year-old girl in the District of Columbia
was vaccinated on July 11th and complained of
severe pain immediately following the injection,
fell off the examining table and experienced a 10
to 15 second fainting spell ending up in the
emergency room with a headache and speech
problems. The report of this reaction, the first
in the nation, was filed on July 14th, 15 days after the ACIP vote.

Six months later, 82 reports of GARDASIL
reactions have been submitted to VAERS on behalf
of at least 84 young girls and 2 boys.[1]
Reaction reports have come in from 21 states and
the District of Columbia.[2] Reactions were
reported for children and young adults ranging in
age from 11 to 27. Of the reports indicating what
day the vaccine was given and the reaction
occurred, 63 percent stated that the reaction
occurred the same day the vaccine was given. All
but three of the reports were for reactions that
occurred within one week of vaccination.

This document is divided into three sections. The
first section describes reaction reports for a
number of reported adverse events: neurological
symptoms including syncopal episodes and
seizures, arthralgia and joint pain,
Guillian-Barre Syndrome, and other immunological
reactions. The second section addresses concerns
related to vaccinating individuals already
infected with HPV. The last section discusses
issues that need to be addressed by government
regulators and the manufacturer and
considerations for clinicians and consumers.

Reported Adverse Events

Presumably, the reactions described below
occurred after the first dose of GARDASIL.
GARDASIL is given in a three-dose series. None of
the reports stated that the children and adults
experiencing problems had previously been vaccinated with GARDASIL.

Syncopal Episodes and Seizures. One-quarter of
all reports filed after GARDASIL vaccination were
for neurologic adverse events including loss of
consciousness, syncope, syncopal events and
seizures. An additional five reports included
symptoms of dizziness and feeling faint.

Syncope is defined as a temporary suspension of
consciousness due to generalized cerebral
ischemia (inadequate blood flow and lack of
oxygen). The reports of syncopal episodes and
their descriptions are remarkable. A physician
from Washington State reported that in one
morning, three patients experienced syncopal
episodes. On August 8th another physician's
office reported that two patients experienced
syncopal episodes on the same day.

Although these reports did not detail what
happened to the individuals experiencing these
syncopal episodes, other reports did. The
14-year-old DC girl mentioned earlier experienced
a syncopal episode combined with amblyopia (poor
vision in one eye), abnormal speech, vomiting, and headache.

Also experiencing vision problems, a 17-year-old
New York girl reported feeling dizzy and her
vision went "black for a few seconds" and she
turned pale and lips turned purple and she also
had fever and chills. Similar to the DC girl, on
July 18th immediately after being vaccinated, a
22-year-old Kentucky woman experienced slurred
speech accompanied by pallor and shock.

On August 29th, two hours after being vaccinated,
a 15-year-old New York girl who had a history of
asthma and was on four asthma medications
experienced difficulty swallowing prompting a
visit to the emergency room. On August 17th, 15
minutes after being vaccinated, a 14-year-old
Pennsylvania girl passed out in the car on the way home.

Most of the reports do not describe what happened
as a result of the syncopal episode but a few do.
One 11-year-old Florida girl fell from the
examining table and two Washington girls fell - a
16-year-old girl fell and hit her head on a
carpeted concrete surface and a 14-year-old girl fell down and broke her nose.

Whether the 22 girls who experienced syncopal
episodes actually experienced atonic seizures
cannot be determined from these reports. Four
girls, however, displayed observable seizure
activity. The 11-year-old Florida girl who fell
from the table also displayed "tonic posturing."
Tonic posturing is a type of seizure where
sustained contraction of muscles in the legs and
arms occurs and consciousness is impaired.

The 16-year-old Washington girl who fell and hit
her head on the floor lost consciousness for one
minute and displayed tonic posturing of her right
hand. Additionally, a 15-year-old girl from
Virginia was described as having "a mild
seizure." In California, a 13-year-old girl was
walking down the hall after her vaccination, fell
and had a 15-second tonic/clonic seizure.
Tonic/clonic seizures are also known as "grand mal" seizures.

Additionally, there were reports of dyskinesia
(difficulty or distortion in performing voluntary
movements) and hypokinesia (slow or diminished
movement of the body musculature) both of which have neurological implications.

Arthralgia, Joint Pain and Fever. Arthralgia is
defined as pain in the joints. Concerns about
arthritis were raised during the GARDASIL
clinical trials. Reports of arthralgia in one or
more joints accompanied by fever were noted in
five instances from four young girls and women in
Wisconsin, Texas and New York, and one 18-year-old New York male.

Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Reports state that two
recently vaccinated 16-year-old girls - one from
Illinois and the other from Mississippi - were
diagnosed with Guillian-Barre Syndrome (GBS)
following vaccination with GARDASIL. In both
cases, the onset of symptoms occurred 13 days
after vaccination. According to the National
Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke:

GBS is a serious disorder in which the body's
immune system attacks part of the peripheral
nervous system. The first symptoms of this
disorder include varying degrees of weakness or
tingling sensations in the legs. In many
instances, the weakness and abnormal sensations
spread to the arms and upper body. These symptoms
can increase in intensity until certain muscles
cannot be used at all and, when severe, the
patient is almost totally paralyzed.
Vaccinations can trigger onset of GBS.[3]

The Illinois girl described earlier was
vaccinated on July 7th and symptoms were evident
by July 20th. The girl also experienced gait
abnormalities (trouble walking properly),
asthenia (weakness without loss of strength),
paresthesia (burning, prickling, tingling or
numbness sensation usually felt in the hands,
arms, feet and legs), and hyperkinesia (abnormal
increase in muscle movement). The Mississippi
girl was vaccinated on July 31st and by August
13th she had increasing numbness and tingling in
her feet and hands and was subsequently evaluated
by a neurologist and diagnosed with GBS. The
current health status of these girls is not known.

In both of these cases, the girls were also
vaccinated with Aventis Pasteur's Menactra, a
vaccine for meningococcal infections. Menactra
has previously been associated with
Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and the FDA and others have issued alerts.

Other Adverse Reactions.
Additionally, a number of other reactions to
GARDASIL are noted in VAERS reports and they
include: urticaria (hives); pruritus (itching);
macular and papular rashes; blisters and vesicles
near the injection site; swollen arms;
lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes); red, hot
swollen knots at injection site; burning,
stabbing, severe and radiating pain at the
injection site and in the affected limb during
and after injection; nausea and vomiting;
infections and skin ulcers, and other allergic reactions.

To read the rest of this report go to
http://www.909shot.com/Diseases/HPV/HPVrpt.htm

<http://kellyhoffman.blogspot.com/2007/02/big-business-targets-young-girls-and.html>Big
Business Targets Young Girls and Women with Gardasil Vaccine for Big Profits

The governor of Texas just overroad the
legislative process and declared an executive
order mandating Merck's new vaccine Gardasil for
all public school age girls 11 years and older.
Merck is claiming Gardasil will protect young
girls and women from four strains of human
papillomaviruses, which in some cases is believed to lead to cervical cancer.

This from the USA Today, "Bypassing the
Legislature, Republican Gov. Rick Perry signed an
order Friday making Texas the first state to
require that schoolgirls get vaccinated against
the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer.

By issuing an executive order, Perry apparently
sidesteps opposition in the Legislature from
conservatives and parents' rights groups who fear
such a requirement would condone premarital sex
and interfere with the way parents raise their children."

As a woman and a mom, I am outraged that big
business is infecting our state leaders and
making them believe it is okay to take away our
parental and individual rights for our health freedom.

It should never be governments right to "mandate"
anything that goes into our bodies. This is an
ULTIMATE infringement on human rights. Of course,
as a side note they will quietly mention that
exemptions are allowed to parents and their
children via religious and medical exemptions.
However, it has been my experience that most
citizens and even healthcare professionals are not aware of these exemptions.

In many states, when parents take immunization
exemptions they often face harrassment by medical
and school professionals. Many even though it
should be a part of their jobs don't even know
the laws regarding these exemptions.

If you are not aware of the dangers that surround
vaccinations, I highly recommend that you look
into it for the sake of yourself and your
children. At least, make an informed decision and
not one that is from big pharmaceutical and
governmental propaganda. One good website to
visit to learn more about the dangers of vaccines
is <http://www.vaclib.org>www.vaclib.org

Vaccines are big money makers for pharmaceutical
companies and those invested. What other drug can
you get such mass populations to line up for?
Don't fool yourself if you think that they only
have your best interests in mind.

Regardless of whether you are for or against
vaccines, you should be up in arms about the
blantant abuse of leadership power and the very
real attack on human rights. If we let these
things go, little by little, they'll be in total
control of what you can and cannot do for your
own personal health and the health of your
children. Do you want someone else making life and death decisions for you?

Texas was the first state, but BE WARNED...the
other states are getting ready to line up to this
as well, unless there is outcry.

The following information was exerpted from the
website The Medical Accountability Network.

You can find the rest of this article at
< http://www.medicalaccountability.net/essay_gardasil.html>http://www.medicalaccountability.net/essay_gardasil.html

Is the HPV vaccine safe?

Can the HPV vaccine actually make infection
worse? The study showed an increase in pre-cancer
related to the vaccine types in the people who
already had these infections before they got the
vaccine. It is possible that when infected girls
whose immune systems have not cleared the virus
from their bodies are vaccinated, the vaccine may
lead to an increased number of cases of a
pre-cancer. This is very concerning, because
there is no routine test you can get in your
doctor's office that will tell if you are already
infected by a vaccine type HPV before you get the vaccine.

How does the HPV vaccine affect fertility? Birth
defects? Risk of cancers? Breast milk?Five
subjects who got the Merck vaccine around the
time of conception had babies with birth defects,
whereas no birth defects occurred in this time
period in the subjects who got dummy shots. The
manufacturer also specifies that the vaccine has
not been tested to see whether it could cause
cancer. It is not known if the vaccine virus-like
proteins or the antibodies pass into the breast
milk. Merck says that it should not be given to pregnant women.

The longest portion of the study only lasted just
under four years. Thus there is no long term data
on how it affects the ability to become pregnant
(fertility). This is especially concerning
because the FDA has approved the vaccine for as
young as 9 year old girls. The effect of
artificially influencing the immune system during
a time of tremendous hormone shifts of puberty is
unknown. The package insert specifies that the
vaccine has not been tested for altering genes in
the patient or her future children (genotoxicity).

Comparison to other vaccines Hepatitis B vaccine
was rushed to the market and broadly administered
to young people in the absence of adequate human
safety testing. It is now one of the most common
vaccines reported to the
<http://vaers.hhs.gov/>Vaccine Adverse Effect
Reporting System, particularly for
gastrointestinal problems, arthritis and multiple
sclerosis. The new HPV vaccine uses aluminum and
polysorbate, two substances known to cause cancer
in laboratory animals and to alter immune responses.

What are the consequences of declining the
vaccine? The ultimate prevention of HPV is
abstinence. Condom use is at least 70% effective
in preventing all types of genital HPV infection.
HPV infection is often eliminated by the body's
natural immune mechanisms. Abnormal Pap tests
often return to normal on their own. Cervical
cancer is on the decline as are cervical cancer
deaths, but it still occurs in about 10,000 women
a year with 3,700 dying. Pap tests are required
whether or not you take the vaccine.

--
www.michaelbalter.com

Michael Balter