Re: The 9/11 conspiracy virus Michael:

I doubt that the two sides in this potential debate will convince each other—at least immediately.  The people you want to reach are those of us who are just reading (the email equivalent of listening quietly because we may do not know much).

So, if you want to reach me, for example, appeals to authority will not help because I will probably not know who they are.  Likewise, personal attacks will not help because I will not get the reasons for the personal attack.  In that sense a personal attack is like raising your voice in an argument to try to convince the other person when they are not convinced by your more measured presentation.

However, I will understand discussion about a critique of the basic assumptions behind the referenced paper, especially if I have time to read it.  A critique of basic assumptions gets at the politics.  Politics may be in part about polemics, but I will not be convince by polemics that are without substance.  It is, again, like raising your voice.

I also know that sometimes words I write that I think are descriptive others feel are personal attacks.  Tough to express feelings in a written messages to a diverse audience.

Do not know if I am typical of the readers of this list, but that is my perspective.

I have participated in fierce email exchanges and I know how useless they are because the rest of the list appears to be using their delete keys.  (If they do not participate, one is never quite sure.)

Larry Romsted