Larry, since this is my second and last post of the day, I will use it to
respond briefly to yours.

I am not asking to reserve my right to make personal attacks on people, but
to engage in sharp political responses to folks such as Cohen and Campbell.
This may be interpreted by some as personal attacks, but I don't think they
are. For example, I would like to be able to argue not just the detailed
points about 9/11 conspiracies and HIV and HPV denial, which we have seen
plenty of recently on this list, but about the broader issues that concern
me most: The damage that this kind of flaky nonsense does to the left, its
credibility, and its ability to be persuasive to others. This might even
extend to doing something you probably would not appreciate, which would be
to criticize WBAI and other Pacifica stations that spend a lot of air time
on this kind of nonsense (especially 9/11) and thus limit their audiences to
a fairly small number of true believers in many cases (the audience for
these stations has not grown, and I think the wrong side won in the Pacifica
wars. That is not going to be popular with some people here, such as
yourself, and it may be taken as a personal attack, but it's not.)

So while requests to keep the number of posts down seem reasonable to me,
attempts to censor, inhibit, restrict, or otherwise limit political
expression seem unhealthy and unwise. I never said that Mitchel Cohen or
Jonathan Campbell were ugly or stupid or had bad breath, because I have
never met them. Those would be personal attacks. But do I think their HIV
denialism is a sign of clueless, knee-jerk, stereotypical, infantile leftism
on their part? Yes I do. That is a political statement, or a political
attack if you like. Perfectly legitimate.

best, Michael

--
www.michaelbalter.com

Michael Balter