Thanks for this, Cliff. However, though I normally have considerable respect for Daniel Goleman, this piece seems facile. He does not mention the long tradition of letter writing, and of writing and publishing in general,  in which many of the same conditions pertained. Everyone knew there were certain things easier to say in a letter than in person; sometimes newspapers and handbills as well as books could be highly insulting, scatological, etc. The issue is largly one of developing and learning  appropriate social conventions with each new medium, suitable for the general social and cultural climate, which these media also affect.  I don't see that explaining the brain parts involved helps  very much.

Best,

Michael