From: Science for the People Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of George Salzman
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Genetics & Race

From: Michael Balter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:06:30 +0000
To: [log in to unmask]

This is such an amazing distortion of my position on the issues we have been discussing that I find it staggering and question myself whether it is possible to discuss these issues here. I will leave the list if George personally asks me to, although I would be interested to hear whether others feel that these discussions have been useless.

Dear Michael,
      The issues here are much larger than you or me or the SftP listserv. The listserv has hardly discussed anything bearing directly on the fact that global human society is on a dead-end. I forget whether it's 80,000 people a day who die, basically from malnutrition, lack of potable water and related deprivation. The number is huge, and most of them are children, and most of them have skin color different from that of damn near everyone on this list. How many of us middle class people know the amount of fossil fuel we consume with our automobiles, air conditioning, electric dishwashers and driers, home laundry equipment, power lawn mowers, air travel, audio and television equipment, electric tooth-brushes and pencil sharpeners, ski-lifts and snow-making machinery, electric golf carts, overheated overlighted large houses, electric blankets, second houses, motor boats, power-this and power-that? How many thousand miles a year do we feel we are 'entitled' to fly and drive? What part have you, Michael, taken in the struggle to prevent that great center of scientific research, the University of California at Berkeley, from firing (or, as they say in academize, not granting tenure, as though tenure is a gift from the all high administrators) to Ignacio Chapela? What has the American Association for the Advancement of Science done to confront that threat to so-called academic freedom bought and paid for by Syngenta? And how much of its budget does the AAAS get from federal sources? The threat to the world's food supply is not being done by mistake, it's for profit above all else. The transgenic contamination of corn, first discovered here in Oaxaca and reported in Nature by Ignacio Chapela and a student of his, David Quist, was disowned by the cowardly editorial staff of Nature on the basis of a campaign mounted by the biotech industry. I've written about it in the posting that begins,
Mexico, birthplace of corn, threatened by its contamination

Scientist who first announced the danger threatened by firing

A chance for you to act
May 2, 2004

this page is at http://site.www.umb.edu/faculty/salzman_g/Strate/Salz/2004-05-02.htm