Agreed that Kitcher's chapter on the epistemology
of science (I think it's called "Believing Where
We Cannot Prove") is one of the book's strong
points, although rather vague when it comes to
criteria of theory choice. It is one of the few
accounts of scientific evidence and confirmation
that is neither painfully oversimplified, nor
inaccessibly technical. These days, though, I
just copy that one chapter and use it in
conjunction with articles that deal with the
recent debate, including the Orr article you
mention below.

I teach this material in philosophy of science
classes, where it's essential to "teach the
controversy," but Kitcher's book actually
provides one of the best arguments against trying
to do this in biology classes, particularly high
school biology classes. Essentially it comes down
to what's the most important thing to do when
time is limited and when your opponents are more
like professional magicians than serious
researchers. I don't say that Kitcher's arguments
are decisive, but I have my students weigh what
he says against arguments like Michael's (which
was also made by Neil Postman in The Nation back
in the 1980s).

Incidentally, while Kitcher would agree that
science is uncertain, he wouldn't characterize it
as non-objective, at least if that is taken to
mean incapable of getting closer to the truth.
See his more technical book, The Advancement of
Science.

--Phil