Kitcher's argument is mainly pragmatic-it will waste too much time and is difficult to do well. He does not reject discussion of creationism because it is really religion, in part because he does not draw a sharp line between science and non-science or pseudo-science. As he puts it, there is good science, mediocre science, bad science, terrible science, and then creation science.

Incidentally, Newton saw himself as articulating an essentially religious world view, but that doesn't mean that classical mechanics can be dismissed as religion. Of course classical mechanics can be tested, but then (Kitcher and I would both argue) creationism can also be scientifically evaluated and rejected. From that perspective it has about as much plausibility as the claim that the moon is made of blue cheese.

--P.

I haven't read the Kitcher book but will get hold of it asap, many thanks for that recommendation, Jon.

Phil, in a nutshell, what is Kitcher's argument against the approach I suggested in my IHT oped? I have received two basic kinds of criticism, one hostile to allowing any sort of religion into the classroom and the second maintaining that what I suggest is impractical in a high school biology class.

cheers, Michael