Another point to consider regarding Michael Balter's proposal is: Why
single out evolutionary theory for this treatment?

Virtually every fact presented as current scientific understanding
has engendered controversies at least as well-founded now as ID. For
instance, first graders are generally taught that the earth goes
around the sun, but they are not offered reasons to believe this,
rather than Ptolemaic theory. Later on, what evidence is given to
high school students to believe, say, that atoms are mostly empty
space, or that DNA  is the genetic material, or that it occurs in
double helix form rather than in Linus Pauling's once- proposed
triple helix?

Even science majors in college and graduate school are not encouraged
to seek evidence for every single fact or theory they are taught.
Were they to do so, they would never obtain their degrees. So
singling out the incredibly well-supported, magnificent and complex
theory of evolution to put up for debate with puny ID, seems in and
of itself to be a direct bow to religion. (The Bible also describes
the sun suddenly standing still, so even Copernican theory should be
controversial on this basis.)

Best,
Michael