Even science majors in college and graduate school are not encouraged to seek evidence for every single fact or theory they are taught. Were they to do so, they would never obtain their degrees. So singling out the incredibly well-supported, magnificent and complex theory of evolution to put up for debate with puny ID, seems in and of itself to be a direct bow to religion. (The Bible also describes the sun suddenly standing still, so even Copernican theory should be controversial on this basis.)

Best,

Michael

On Feb 27, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Mandi Smallhorne wrote:

"...when your opponents are more like professional magicians than serious researchers." LOL! Love it, great little simile!
Mandi
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Phil Gasper
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:39 AM
Subject: Re: dealing with creationism and intelligent design and intelligence

Agreed that Kitcher's chapter on the epistemology of science (I think it's called "Believing Where We Cannot Prove") is one of the book's strong points, although rather vague when it comes to criteria of theory choice. It is one of the few accounts of scientific evidence and confirmation that is neither painfully oversimplified, nor inaccessibly technical. These days, though, I just copy that one chapter and use it in conjunction with articles that deal with the recent debate, including the Orr article you mention below.

I teach this material in philosophy of science classes, where it's essential to "teach the controversy," but Kitcher's book actually provides one of the best arguments against trying to do this in biology classes, particularly high school biology classes. Essentially it comes down to what's the most important thing to do when time is limited and when your opponents are more like professional magicians than serious researchers. I don't say that Kitcher's arguments are decisive, but I have my students weigh what he says against arguments like Michael's (which was also made by Neil Postman in The Nation back in the 1980s).

Incidentally, while Kitcher would agree that science is uncertain, he wouldn't characterize it as non-objective, at least if that is taken to mean incapable of getting closer to the truth. See his more technical book, The Advancement of Science.

--Phil