Julie, it's a GORGEOUS photo!

I'd like to recommend to everybody who's occasionally befuddled by hawk
ID problems (which means pretty much all of us!) "Photographic Guide to
North American Raptors" by Wheeler and Clark.  It's out now in paperback
for about $15 and available pretty much everywhere.  It's mostly pix (30
pages of Red-Tail plumages alone!), but with good succinct text pointing
out the key diagnostics, comparisons with similar species, etc., for
each hawk.

I find the hawk sections in most general field guides almost useless
(Sibley's are best, but still not that helpful).  The small "Hawks" book
in the Peterson series has excellent, comprehensive text sections that
dig deep down into the fine points, but the "Photographic Guide," which
has photographs in flight and perched, adult and immature, male and
female where there are differences, is by far the clearest and most
immediately helpful.

Jane