What has happened to the spirit of librarianship??  We have always been known for willingness to help and share information with generosity and good will.

What about helping libraries that are financilally challenged with limited resources and time restraints to get the information requested asps?  Those of us who are so challenged find this listserve a G-d sent.

It has happened a number of times during the years that I looked like a "star" because I could provide a document for an anxious patron in short order through the generosity of some colleague unknown to me personally.  It generated in me an unbelievable warm feeling towards that  stranger who took a moment from their busy schedule to help me.

I would imagine that there should be a special thrill in being able to provide help to someone, somewhere in Italy, Saudia Arabia, Canada or for that matter in U.S.A.  It unites us into a community of "sharers" and "givers".

Besides, one does not have to respond to an ILL request  if one  does not want to or is too busy to help . Let this remain in the domain of those who find satisfaction in sharing.  Having said all this, I am not suggesting by any means that we should abuse the system.

I would love to hear your response to my position.

ruth lebowitz
long beach medical center
medical library
455 east bay drive
long beach, n.y., 11561
tel: 516-897-1012
fax: 516-897-1077
email: [log in to unmask]

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This message, and any attached file(s), if any, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and the attachments hereto, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or replying to the message AND permanently delete this e-mail and the attachments hereto, if any, and destroy any printed copies thereof.