At 8:53 AM -0400 3/23/07, Nancy A. Brown wrote:
>Julie did you see the bird?

I saw the bird-- I didn't want to say anything about it first because
I wanted an objective answer and didn't want anyone being guided by
my interpretations or assumptions, so please accept my apologies if
this comes across as deceptive.  I just didn't know another way to
get responses that didn't involve getting caught up in the visual
cues.

This call I posted was the red-shouldered hawk that's been hanging
out in our yard throughout the winter. I know there's been some
question over whether it's a red-tail or a red-shouldered.  With the
exception of the two posts which pinned it as a blue-jay, everyone
else who's written me has been certain that it's the call of a
red-shouldered hawk, even without any visuals.  I'm still willing to
entertain the idea that it's a hybrid of some sort (if that's even
possible-- I can't yet find sufficient information to judge whether
or not it is), but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the
bird is a red-shouldered.

Here are some pictures of it from the time I did the recording:

http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&tc=58&keywords=red&dte=2007-03-23

I also want to note that this is not something I would do in the
wild-- if a bird were screeching at me during a forest walk or some
other such thing, I'd back off extremely quickly, in case there's a
nest nearby.  I'm a big believer in not interfering with birds in
their own habitat.

I feel, however, that if a bird is going to be hanging out in several
yards in my neighborhood, that it's probably used to seeing humans
enough that while it may not like us, it won't be actively damaged or
overly frustrated by our occasional attention.

--julie

P.S. if anyone's interested, I got some short-eared owl pictures at
Plum Island yesterday-- a life bird for me

http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?dte=2007-03-24&tc=58&keywords=owls

	this is not true.

			--Robert Wilensky