New York State up to 2003 has had 12 reports of Barnacle Goose, 11 being
accepted as 'Origins Uncertain'.

The individual reports are here:
http://www.nybirds.org/NYSARC/RecordsSummary.htm

A quick survey found that 50% of the reports came from March and April and
25% came from the other peak waterfowl times in October and November.  In my
opinion there is a patter developing here and the bird in question fits into
this pattern.  2 other reports come from winter and 1 oddball one in early
May.

Will Raup
Albany, NY
www.pbase.com/cabbage_hollow

>From: Allan Strong <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] barnacle goose
>Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:14:56 -0400
>
>The Massachusetts records committee does post its decisions on line, and it
>looks like they have accepted 4 Barnacle Goose records in the last +/- 5
>years (and a 5th report was not accepted).  Although I serve on the VT
>records committee, I must admit I don't know what our criteria are for
>assessing the origin of individuals that have a history of presence in
>captivity.  Some, obviously are filtered out immediately (Ringed Turtle
>Dove, White-tailed Hawk, etc.), but others are more difficult to assess.
>http://massbird.org/MARC/MARCactions.htm
>
>Allan
>
>At 01:33 PM 3/28/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>>For whatever it's worth, my understanding is the very conservative
>>Massachusetts records committee is also firmly opposed to accepting
>>Barnacle goose.  I've been told that one of the reasons is that these
>>birds are widely kept in private -- often illegal and therefore unbanded
>>-- collections of exotics and frequently escape.
>>
>>(Can't personally verify either of the above, just repeating what I've
>>been told by more knowlegeable people.)
>>
>>I wonder about the issue of feather wear as a determinant.  I would think
>>the presence of a particular pattern would be a pretty good indication
>>that the bird is a recent escape, but unless I'm undereducated on the
>>subject, I don't see how its absence can prove it's not, since over time,
>>the damaged feathers would be replaced, and even the behavior would become
>>more "wild" after a couple of years of associating with a wild flock,
>>wouldn't it?
>>
>>If the default assumption of records committees is that a Barnacle is an
>>escape unless proven otherwise, is the only acceptable proof of wild
>>origin then a band recovery?
>>
>>Jane

i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice.
Join Now.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline