For whatever it's worth, my understanding is the very conservative
Massachusetts records committee is also firmly opposed to accepting
Barnacle goose.  I've been told that one of the reasons is that these
birds are widely kept in private -- often illegal and therefore unbanded
-- collections of exotics and frequently escape.

(Can't personally verify either of the above, just repeating what I've
been told by more knowlegeable people.)

I wonder about the issue of feather wear as a determinant.  I would
think the presence of a particular pattern would be a pretty good
indication that the bird is a recent escape, but unless I'm
undereducated on the subject, I don't see how its absence can prove it's
not, since over time, the damaged feathers would be replaced, and even
the behavior would become more "wild" after a couple of years of
associating with a wild flock, wouldn't it?

If the default assumption of records committees is that a Barnacle is an
escape unless proven otherwise, is the only acceptable proof of wild
origin then a band recovery?

Jane