Hi Birders,

I've just returned from an Elderhostel in Fairbanks and Coldfoot - wonderful trip for Aurora and life in cold country.  I can confirm that the redpolls are in Alaska this winter, but not a crossbill to be found.  There were lots of boreal chickadees, gray jays, willow ptarmigan, and ravens.  The paper reported the male snow buntings are arriving in Fairbanks.

Here in Waitsfield I still see the shrike, tree sparrows, lots of goldfinches, purple finches, juncoes.  The female cardinal was here this morning, pileated is calling and drumming.  I spotted the first red-winged blackbirds this morning, saw 3 common mergansers flying up Mad River yesterday.

Happy birding,
Pat Folsom
East Warren Rd