Last year in Enosburg Falls, VT while doing a VBBA day, we saw about 30 TV
all sitting on the rails of a bridge holding thier wings out to gather the early
rays of the sun. All had their wings out, mostly with their backs to the sun
early in the AM (but not all). It was an amazing sight.
Liz Alton, Georgia, Vt

In a message dated 3/22/07 10:19:21 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Probably uncommon here in Vermont if one emphasizes the "fence  sitting."
> However, this behavior can be observed often in early spring as  the sun
> begins
> to warm the air, with the birds gathered usually on  cliffs.  The birds will
> orient their backs and open wings to the rising sun  to catch those warming
> rays before they head off for another day in search of  food.
>
> Cheers,
> Roy Pilcher
> Proctor, Vermont
>
> Speaking the same  language.