This season seems to have turned around  for the good
as equally dramatic as the earlier months were for the
bad.

Whiteface has been unbelievable the last two weeks
plus.  Deep natural powder on all trails and the best
their limited woods runs have ever been from my
perspective.  Just when I thought things were getting
good in Vermont and I would probably start venturing
over they have gotten so good nearby that I can't get
enough locally.

I have been out primarily solo all season and enjoying
the slopes immensely but there is a difference having
a couple of friends with you to push each other and
psych each other up.  Such was the case yesterday as
Greg, Dave and I hit the jackpot at Gore.

By the time we got there and up the gondola it was
only minus 1 at the top of Bear Mt.  With calm winds
it was one of my warmer experiences at Gore lately.
We started with a warmup on Lies.  Sweet effortless no
skid carving down the entire face.  There was much to
be said for the grooming in this case.  Sometimes it
makes things better in the overall experience.  We
then headed up Straightbrook to start with Double
barrel.  All the moguls were buried and drifted in
with fresh snow.  Sweet, unique experience indeed.

Even Dave did it once to say he did.  He is 62 with
literally no cartilage in one knee.  He wears a brace
that helps with support but not with pain enough.  He
says if he gets a knee replacement the doctors said he
would never ski again so he continues as best he can.

Everything off the summit was 100% excellent.  Even
Hawkeye was sweet carving and cruising.  Normally I
hate that trail with a passion.  We got fresh tracks
repeatedly all day in almost every place we went.
Cave glade, Straightbrook glade, Chattimac and even
all the groomed trails.  There were perhaps the fewest
people there I have ever seen.  Less than one half the
main parking lot was used.

After lunch at Saddle lodge we went thru Wood In to
the High Peaks double.  We had went up that first in
the AM but didn't ski over there.  We noticed Dark
Side was open and untracked and well covered with
fresh powder. Greg and I alone would probably have hit
that first off but didn't want to shock Dave right off
the bat.  There was so much good over at Staightbrook
and Topridge area the time went too fast to get back
there.  At precisely 1:47 PM Dark Side was still
untracked.  It wasn't for long as Greg and I blitzed
it top to bottom in soft deep powder without hitting
nary a rock.  I am usually reluctant to attack that
trail as the visual evidence of pitfalls is enough to
make me cautious.

A most unique experience happened right after that.
As we were ascending the double in the intensely
serene peaceful calm and silence of that area with
almost nary a soul to be seen anywhere an
instantaneous heart stopping roar shook the entire
lift.  We all thought earthquake.  I thought someone
fired up a snowgun right within 20 feet of my chair.
I looked left and right expecting some monster winch
cat to come ripping out of the woods out of control
and take out a lift tower.  It turned out to be what I
thought was an extinct species from a by-gone era.

 http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/a-10_warthog.pl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINgqs0_nh8&mode=related&search=

These babies are subsonic and operate in attack mode
at speeds exceeded by a lot of high performance
automobiles.  They hang almost hovering and scour the
area searching for prey much like a hawk or eagle over
a field.  They swoop straight down from above with
their 30 mm nose Gatling cannon blazing armor piercing
rounds at 6000 per minute.  You don't want to be in a
non US tank when they are around. There are some
military fly routes approved over the Adirondacks and
I am sure they were in compliance.  It was kind of
weird that it was right up the liftline at barely 200
ft.  I could almost read the insignia on the
underbellies.  It was very fitting that they flew
close air support in our attack on the powder
everywhere.  The rest of the day only got better and
better and was too short as I found the last five
times I have been to Gore.

Greg and I will arise even earlier tomorrow in the
predicted chill of perhaps -40F to attack the glades
and powder at Gore again.  With or without close air
support we will accomplish the mission.     Jimski