In Marshfield we call the sender and tell them we are returning it.  Unfortunately we don't have a good process for keeping a record of what we did, other than making a written note on the daybook.

At 09:10 AM 4/23/2007, you wrote:
My name is Anne Gilbert. I am a real-estate paralegal and title abstractor. 
I would like to ask town clerks a recording question.
What do town clerks do if you receive a document, like a Mortgage Deed, that is for property in a different town? 
If you record it, how do you index such a document?  If you don't record it, do you keep a record of what you did with it?

Dorset, Vermont 

Bobbi Brimblecombe
Marshfield Town Clerk
122 School Street, Room 1
Marshfield, VT 05658
(802) 426-3305
[log in to unmask]