Hi Anne -
I do the same thing that Robin does with the documents I catch in time.  Sometimes I don't realize it is the wrong town until the pages for the Land Record book has been made, at which point I index it the same as a document for my town with Grantor/Grantee, type of doc, etc.  I personally do not believe it is the Clerk's responsibility to keep a record of documents returned.
Susie Haughwout
Wilmington Town Clerk
P.O. Box 217
Wilmington, VT 05363
1-802-464-5836 Phone
1-802-464-1238 Fax
[log in to unmask]
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Robin Wilcox
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: Recordings question

Hi Anne,
I would usually send the document back to the party that SENT it to me, not the " after recording" address on the document. I have had requests from neighboring town clerks, to send the document to them, if it's for their town, which I have done. Since you and I have discussed this many times, I am considering keeping a list of these WRONG TOWN DOCUMENTS for future reference.
PS You left your glasses here,, in case you are looking for them.
Robin Wilcox

Arlington Town Clerk
PO Box 304
Arlington, VT 05250
802 375-2332


From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anne Gilbert
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 9:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Recordings question

My name is Anne Gilbert. I am a real-estate paralegal and title abstractor. 
I would like to ask town clerks a recording question.
What do town clerks do if you receive a document, like a Mortgage Deed, that is for property in a different town? 
If you record it, how do you index such a document?  If you don't record it, do you keep a record of what you did with it?

Dorset, Vermont