I don't see a lot of differences between Office and OO. I've always used the
'right tool for the right job' philosophy. I don't' see a lot of office
style workflow management features or markup editing going on in education
out side of the college scene. Is it useful to implement those service if
students don't have the tools at home or if all those features sit dormant ?
Personally I don't think so.

Seems to me, if students are being taught how to use the software...
developing troubleshooting skills etc that tool becomes less important. Most
of the writing work I see students write in high school would be better
served by having them use notepad... Where they actually had to learn to
spell, use punctuation and not have sentences automatically 'corrected' like
this message I'm writing has been.

Seems to me like a whole lot of money has been spent to produce flush left
writing. Saw a teacher develop and exercise where students had to critique
an auto-corrected document. The assignment produced ridiculous results.

I've always wondered what some of the frills were for ? If we are teaching
students to use those frills, great. Those frills have a lot of power. If
those features are sitting dormant... $100 to fill basic word processing
needs seem wasteful.

Just two cents on a bright sunny day.