While browsing through our SonicWall (SOHO3) settings,
I came across one that says it is for having the SonicWall block proxy servers.
(I don't have my notes at the moment to give a more precise description.)
I tried setting this, but it seemed to be completely ineffective.
After setting it, I tried using a number of proxy servers listed on www.proxy.org
and through them getting to www.facebook.com (which I have set to be blocked by our SonicWall).
Got to facebook every time.

Is there no reasonable way to block proxy servers -- and if not, doesn't that mightily decrease the value of web filters?

Sigurd Andersen

Raymond Ballou wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Dear List:

I have the ability to block URLs
I can block URL keywords like proxy (blocks myproxy.com, but also proxyz.com [potential for unintended consequences])

My new strategy is that I can have certain words/combinations listed on a page trigger a block (PHPproxy or CGIproxy listed on the page = block)
Can't do that with filter or tunnel though, too many false positives ... but I am hoping the people who run these sites like to brag or at least mention which type they use.

below are some of the latest, only had one known student visit 1 site (turned in a faculty member) but all these were unblocked as of today.

R.

letmethrough.info
SneakMeIn.info
SneakWithPride.info