Re: Hosting listserv
I used Google Groups for the Vermont Baseball Coaches Association. Works great !

From: Lucie deLaBruere <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:05:01 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Hosting listserv

I've used Yahoo Groups,  Google Groups  and another called COOLLIST.com.

Yahoo was quite a while ago, and every once in a while I get a rogue email from some yahoo group.

Coollist is a free mail list service. I like its simplicity.   You can embed it into a web page like I did here for a person family history project
http://techsavvygirl.googlepages.com/news  <http://techsavvygirl.googlepages.com/news>   and all a user has to do is type in their email address and hit subscribe.  The owner interface has some control for how you set it up.

My favorite is Google Groups. I like the archive feature to you can go back and look at discussions.  They have also added a 'file' feature and a 'page' feature that can be used to store documents useful to your group.  You can sign up for a couple of education Google Groups at http://www.google.com/educators/index.html
This page will give you an example of some of the features available.  It's a small low activity group interested in Open Source
http://groups.google.com/group/k12opensource/about
(Note the Join this group) feature on the side.  You can also elect to get posting in digest form and a few other formats.

Lucie deLaBruere