http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSL0649942120070406

Scientists, governments clash over warming report

Fri Apr 6, 2007 11:46AM EDT

By Jeff Mason

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Scientists clashed with government officials at
a U.N. panel on climate change on Friday over how strongly global
warming is affecting plants and animals and the degree to which
humans are causing temperatures to rise.

More than 100 nations in the U.N. group agreed a final text after
all-night talks that were punctuated by protests from researchers,
who accused delegates of ignoring science and watering down a summary
version of the report for policymakers.

Environmentalists say governments tried to weaken the report in order
to avoid taking strong measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia were the main culprits at the
meeting, delegates said.

"It looks like very blatant vested interests are trying to stop
particular messages getting out," said Neil Adger from Britain's
Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research.

"We give our best to provide the best scientific assessment, but when
the wording of that is then changed ... we get very upset. It's three
years' work."

He said delegates had also tried to weaken the link between
greenhouse gas emissions caused by humans and the impacts of global
warming worldwide.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) groups 2,500
scientists and is the top authority on climate change.

Cynthia Rosenzweig of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
submitted a letter of protest to the IPCC chairman after Chinese
delegates insisted on cutting a reference to 'very high confidence'
that climate change was already affecting natural systems on all
continents and in some oceans, she said.

"I did make a statement that the authors strongly felt that the 'very
high confidence' level was right," she told reporters after the
meeting. "I was protesting because I felt the science wasn't brought
forward."

She left the meeting after the protest but said she needed a break
and had not staged a walkout.

The delegates ended up taking out any reference to confidence and
revised the text to say: "Observational evidence from all continents
and most oceans shows that many natural systems are being affected by
regional climate changes, particularly temperature increases."

Martin Parry, co-chair of the group preparing the report, denied the
document had been weakened as a whole.

"I don't think it would be a right story to say it was watered down.
Certain messages were lost but I don't think in any respect the
message was lost," he said. "When you have big meetings, there is a
boiling down to common ground."

But although Rosenzweig said she was happy with the compromise, many
scientists felt the summary was not as sound as the larger report
that they are preparing.

"There is some residual frustration amongst the scientists. There's
no question about that," said Kevin Hennessy, senior research
scientist at the Climate Impact Group in Australia and another lead
author. "But we're going to encourage people to drill down to the
more detailed information in the technical summary and in the
individual chapters."

(additional reporting by David Lawsky)