From: herb fox <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Len Radinsky (1937-1985) & nostalgia
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 19:19:37 -0400

Thanks Eric for the obituary.  Len Radinsky was a wondeful person.  He and
Bill Zimmerman (where is he now?) were quite a pair sharing a contagious
sense of humor.  Britta and i remember doubled up in laughter with them in
the kitchen of the 3-story building owned by the Helen Keller Collective
that housed Science for the People on the 1st floor. Yes, Science for the
People was not just an organization dedicated to science for the people; it
was, at least in Boston, a great bunch of people from all walks of life who
had a lot of fun together, especially in concocting actions for meetings of
the AAAS.  The children in the neighborhood (the office was in the Ghetto
next to the Bromley-Heath housing project) would come by and ask me to do
science with them, which of course i did. They called me Sci (pronounced
Sy).
Ok, i'm being a little nostalgic; but there is a message.  Lighten up!  Have
fun!  At core a movement has to be a bunch of persons who really enjoy what
they are doing as serious as it may be, and enjoy one another.  Some of our
most effective actions and leaflets came out of all-night meetings among a
bunch of overtired wacked out people.  When i'd read over a leaflet or a
statement a few days later i was amazed at how coherent and focussed it was.

When the Cantibridgian's moved operations out of the Helen Keller Collective
to Cambridge and George Saltzman purchased and maintained the typesetting
machine in his basement in Brookline, we tended to interpret the moves as
class acts.  True or not, Science for the People's connection to the ghetto
was severed.  So there is another message, an organization with the slogan
Science for the People needs to have sufficiently intimate contacts with the
People to insure that what the people need is learned from the people and
not just from the imagination and judgement of scientists.

Many times we have been accused of being neo-Luddites.  It is important that
an organization with the slogan Science for the People have a sensible
balance between its criticism of the wrong turns and misuse of science and a
program for the socially constructive and progressive use of science.  I
would guess that almost all of us went into science in order to "do good" in
the world.  Sciencedoes have a tremendous potential for moving our species
from "the realm of necessity to the realm of freedom."  It would serve us
well on this list serve to put as much effort into determining how and under
what conditions the discoveries and inventions of modern science can
emancipate our species from want, joblessness, hunger, poor health, etc as
it does in criticizing the misuse of science.

This last brings me to specific questions.  Humans have been manipulating
nature since the beginning of their eveolution, damming rivers, burning
forests, reshaping rocks into tools, influencing evolution by selelectively
growing from food crops choosing animals from herds etc.  Not all of these
are necessarily long-term beneficial, neither are they all bad.  Am i to
understand from what i read on this list serve that nothing good can come
from GM?  Isn't it rather the misuse of the capability for GM that is the
problem?  Isn't it rather that the motivation is profit rather than to
enhance the survivaility of our species on this planet and the ecosphere in
which we live?  There is a phenomenon called romantic reaction, wherein
rather than working at determining the road forward from the morass of
capitalist relations, one offers the past as the solution.  The past is not
the solution for the present.  The way forward out of the corrupt distortion
of the nature of humans by the capitalist relations of production is just
that--the way forward.  Science for the People, as a slogan, as a memory and
hopefully, some day soon, as a new orgaization must make clear that science
can serve the people and in determining how it does that help in the long
process of envisioning a post-capitalistic cooperative society of free
individuals--free from want, from unecessary sickness, from domination and
free to be creative.  From each an equal share of the shit work, to each an
equal opportunity for gratifying work  might be an appropriate intermediate
slogan.

So there
herb

Eric Entemann wrote:

>http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/ponyexpress/pony3_1/pe31.htm#Radinsky

<< herb_fox.vcf >>

MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today.
http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline