Herb, I could write plenty on Lenny, my once-brother-in-law and a
great guy; also on whether we are too nostalgic, for I certainly
mistrust nostalgia as I mistrust progress, right on!  But here's
an urgent thought growing out of your memories & reflections.

	One of the little efforts I make to salvage things is my
work since the 1960s for the Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund, which
gives scholarships to needy activists for university study.
Varied activists, and various study, not only science.  Several
SftP types have supported it beside me, like Lewontin, Gould,
Ruth Hubbard, Len Radinsky.  A few have been grantees.  Go to
www.davisputter.org, or I can send you this year's appeal.  My
point is this.  Mistrusting the capitalist rulers as we all do,
we should wish for a new generation of critics with the savvy
to find better ways to live in the world and the will to grasp
control and do it right.  I wish we had more applicants to the
Davis-Putter Fund who share the scientific spirit, the critical
stance, and the commitment which to me characterize Science for
the People.  The students are out there, the Fund doesn't find
them all, some of them drop out of school for lack of support.
Those of you who are in touch with them-- please steer them to
us.  Those of you who are able to be generous with funds, please
contribute to us.
				Chandler