Re: this may be very scary
It's not quite so simple. There are always infinitely many hypotheses consistent with available data, so we have to decide initially which ones are worth testing-in other words an initial judgement that some should be taken seriously and others not. How do we do that? By evaluating proposed hypotheses in terms of background knowledge and accepted theoretical frameworks (paradigms, research programs, whatever). If hypotheses consistent with accepted background eventually prove inadequate, that may lead us to question our framework, but that takes time.

At any rate, it's philosophy of science 101 that it's possible (in fact, necessary) to make a judgment about the plausibility/implausibility of a hypothesis before it has been tested, and it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that the DU hypothesis is so initially implausible that time and resources would be better used in elaborating and testing some of the many alternatives that initially seem much more likely.

Incidentally, it's also true that if our political judgments are evidentially based (and are not mere expressions of subjective preference), they may legitimately play some role in determining whether or not a line of research is worth pursuing. The fact that politics often intrudes into scientific research in an illegitimate way, does not mean that it always does so, or that the belief that science should be "value free" is even coherent.

In other words, I think Michael's implied formulation throws the baby out with the bath water.

--PG