The Nation
April 10, 2007

Colorstruck

Patricia J. Williams

The March 22 New York Post offered a fascinating study in the
contradictions of our culture. The top half of the front page was
consumed by "a stunning mother-child portrait" of Angelina Jolie with
her newest adopted child, or as the Post put it, her "Viet man." The
lower half of the page was given over to a more lurid headline ("Baby
Bungle: White Folks' Black Child") trumpeting "a Park Avenue
fertility clinic's blunder" that "left a family devastated--after a
black baby was born to a Hispanic woman and her white husband."

The story about Jolie's magical mothering of her rainbow brood was a
fairy tale of happily ever after. The bungled baby story, meanwhile,
was considerably less heartwarming: Long Islanders Nancy and Thomas
Andrews had trouble conceiving after the birth of their first
daughter. They employed in vitro fertilization and baby Jessica was
born. Jessica is darker skinned than either of the Andrewses, a
condition their obstetrician initially called an "abnormality."
She'll "lighten up," said that good doctor. Subsequent paternity
tests showed that Nancy's egg was fertilized by sperm other than
Tom's. The couple has sued.

If this were the end, the story might simply fall within the growing
body of other technological mix-ups resulting in what are sometimes
called "wrongful birth" suits, for lost eggs, failed vasectomies and
so on. There is a legally recognized expectation that a certain
standard of care will be observed in the handling of genetic
material. There are ethical difficulties with any of these cases.
Just to start with, it's a bit of a conundrum to call the birth of a
healthy child "wrongful." Therefore, courts tend to be conservative
in framing monetary damages, lest they be understood as a property
interest in perfection. Hence, awarding the costs of raising an
unplanned child resulting from medical malfeasance is obviously less
troubling than awarding damages for "the pain and suffering" of
parenting a child who was "unwanted." Indeed, in the Andrews case, a
judge permitted the malpractice claim to go forward but threw out the
claim for the parents' mental distress.

What's distinctive about the Andrews case is that the parents also
tried to cite (also without success) Jessica's pain and suffering for
having to endure life as a black person. The Andrewses expressed
concern that Jessica "may be subjected to physical and emotional
illness as a result of not being the same race as her parents and
siblings." They are "distressed" that she is "not even the same race,
nationality, color...as they are." They describe Jessica's conception
as a "mishap" so "unimaginable" that they have not told many of their
relatives. (Telling the tabloids all about it must have come easier.)
"We fear that our daughter will be the object of scorn and ridicule
by other children," the couple said, because Jessica has
"characteristics more typical of African or African-American
descent." So "while we love Baby Jessica as our own, we are reminded
of this terrible mistake each and every time we look at her...each
and every time we appear in public."

One wonders what this construction of affairs will do to Jessica, now
2, when she is old enough to understand. But here's the really
interesting part. When I turned to other media accounts I found a
picture of the family--from their 2006 Christmas card, no less. And
Jessica looks exactly like her mother and elder sister. It is true
that Jessica is slightly darker than her mother and that her hair is
curlier than her sister's, but all three females are pretty clearly
African-descended. As one of my students put it, if anything it is
the paleness of the father's skin that marks him as the "different"
one.

The picture underscores the embedded cultural oddities of this case,
the invisibly shifting boundaries of how we see race, extend
intimacy, name "difference." According to the Post, Mrs. Andrews is
"Hispanic" and apparently, by the paper's calculations, one Hispanic
woman plus one white man equals "a white pair." The mother is "a
light-skinned native of the Dominican Republic," seeming to indicate
that while she may not be "white," she's also not "black." Each
narrative implies that if the correct sperm had been used, the
Andrewses would have been guaranteed a lighter-skinned child. But as
most Dominicans trace their heritage to some mixture of African
slaves, indigenous islanders and European settlers, and as dark skin
color is a dominant trait, it could be that the true sperm donor is
as "white" as Mr. Andrews. But that possibility is exiled from the
word boxes that contain this child. Not only is Jessica viewed as
being of a race apart from either of her parents; she is even
designated a different nationality--this latter most startling for
its blood-line configuration of citizenship itself.

I might have consigned all of this to tabloid sensation had I not had
conversations in recent days in which this case came up.
Well-educated legal minds of all political stripes were arguing that
there's nothing wrong in the parents' claim, that it's a private
choice they made to have a family that looks "like" them and that
they should get some money for the girl's "trauma" since, after all,
it is harder to be black in this society. Some of the people arguing
this have previously argued against affirmative action because our
society is supposedly colorblind. Just look at Angelina! If this
dreamy reasoning is any reflection of the culture at large, then its
logic signals a privatization of civil rights: Discrimination is no
longer a social problem that implicates all of us and our
institutions as unloving or uninclusive. Discrimination becomes
destiny, the normative response to biologized "abnormality."

It is ironic. There is a bill in the Georgia state legislature to
make April Confederate Heritage Month. Not Southern heritage, but
Confederate. Whatever romance that term may conjure in the collective
imagination, it's important to remember that the Confederate
Constitution was almost identical to that of the United States. The
only significantly different provision was one that said: "No bill of
attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right
of property in negro slaves shall be passed." In an era when none of
us are slaves but all of us are increasingly objects in the
marketplace, it is sad and alarming that "Negro" features, however
arbitrarily perceived or shiftily delineated, still lower the value
of the human product, of human grace.